Skip to main content

I know of only one Being greater than mankind.

''MARVEL! you are not your work, you matter and are so valuable, I also want to say that the recent spoken word you put up was amazing.'' read the text Alyssa sent me soon after a post I put on instagram. I was overly excited by her feedback (compliment) as I usually am because like most creatives I think, the comments are definitely not taken for granted. Ever.  Anyway, when I first saw her text I thought, '' Well that's random. Why is she starting her sentence like that?'' ''Why is she calling me valuable? Does she think I don't know that already, maybe?''
And so being myself, I asked  her. Being gracious, she explained.

I am going to talk about myself as briefly as possible and say being a creative,  people will talk about your talent. People will cling onto what you can do, and maybe even possibly, for how it could help them later. And it's great, until it isn't. But it would take a whole lot to get to the isn't. You know, like, losing your voice permanently or losing both arms or damaging your brain forever, things like that.

So, the unexpected turn of this post, or maybe you saw it coming, is this cheesy topic that's not so cheesy; worth.

So being someone that has often attached my value to my ability: understanding and believing that I am of value even apart from that is a distant concept. Besides, I never have to wrestle with self worth because I never find reason to. Is this all about me stroking my ego? No. This is me emphasizing that daily I need the reminder; that I am not my work, even though it plays a big role into part of my being and existence. 

We all need reminders that we are not the things we can do or can't do. Or how we look or don't look.

So. Again, what am I saying? 
Not that you are one in a billion. Not that your finger print is unique to just you, though you should definitely hold on to that too.

But you really can't find worth outside simply believing that God thinks you were worth it. That He thinks you ARE worth it. If you do, it'll wear off and out.

I was having a conversation with my friend off of a tweet she found. (I think she finds it strenuous to have certain conversations with me because of my very Christian fixed and oriented views) but the tweet was about men and how hard it is for them because society has made it clear that apart from their achievement they are nothing. How women protect their value while men have to gain it. Things like that. I emphasized how it's one hundred percent the ripple effect of the fall, she said,'' okay but how do we change that.'' I said, ''apart from finding ultimate value in God, there's no hope.''


Now, do not misunderstand me. Work hard. Be all that you can be. And be it well and faithfully. But when you begin to think you are something only because of that then take the pause. "Value was never meant to be linked to position or possibility," to roughly quote Kathleen Nielson from her book Women and God.

J.D.Walt another writer said, ''You can't find the meaning of life by looking at life itself but looking beyond it.'' Now that would be a whole other blog post which quite frankly I wouldn't be too excited to get into because talking about life always wears me out because, what do I know? 
But I'll conclude with this, you can't find your value by looking at yourself. You've got to be looking at something greater and I know of only one Being greater than mankind. 

You know yourself best by knowing God.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Need of Grace.

To be honest, i've been spinning round and round in my head, for an amazing introduction-a great abstract to use to bring the truth i wanna share to life, a way to have you expecting the next word and the next because you know, it's been a minute since i wrote anything up here and there's a couple cobwebs i need to clear. I haven't gotten any-except for confessing what i just have. To sprinkle a little more honesty across this page, a prayer i read(yes, i read prayers, because sometimes all i can say is an amen to the request of another saint; as we are more alike than we think and more collectively in need of grace than we'd maybe like to admit) said, "O Lord, thou knowest my present deadness." And it's almost like a heavy weight was lifted-i understand this may be for a few, or for you to understand that the predicaments of the faith are deep and great. I'm where i want to be, lacking no good thing. Happy, healthy and feeling c

Part two.

Sort of glad that only a handful of people read my simple raw line.   ''I'm learning to listen. not going too great but I am.'' Ha! Y'all really thought I'd write a post that short and leave it at that? Man I thought I could. Best believe I was very uncomfortable with it. Probably a blend of the fear of being misunderstood and feeling naked  because who likes to announce the things they know they are not good at? Or the traits or the lack of them there of that need improvement? I would like for people to think I get a lot of things right but I in fact don't. It's almost like I mess up more than I don't. I hope you aren't sensing false vulnerability from reading this because it seems an awful lot like that. Where someone (me) thinks that by touching the surface of my imperfection (very vaguely if I may add), that someone else (you) will relate with me on a more human realistic level ( which is always the secondary hope I have when I write to y

Dear Child of God.

Dear child of God,  This one is for you. A while ago in my life, I knew something was wrong. Later when I settled down, I mean days after, I realized that my heart was walking away. The centre of my thoughts and feelings and emotions and dreams and visions, was walking away. Not because it changed destination. But because it had distractions. Dear child of God, Never let the loudness of life or rather the noise rob your heart of path. let it run, ablaze. An untamable fire, For it's savior, dear child of God. Love, Your sister.