Skip to main content

Glimpses

You know those sights that you never want to forget.

trains are always gonna mean so much to me from now on.


The Lord gives me glimpses of Himself. 
Of this I'm so very convinced. 
I don't say this out of pride, to illustrate that I see that which you can't or haven't ever. 
No. 
He gives the glimpses to all but most times our eyes are lazy. Settled, okay with and satisfied by ugliness and the fruit of bad theology.

 I had never really pressed into the idea of art vs beauty up until a couple days ago. I always thought of them as twins. Inseparable. Because when I think of art there is usually a connotation of beauty with that thought. But if you really think about it, there's art that's ugly. Art that disturbs. She was saying, the lady I was having a conversation with, that all art really is, is an outward expression of our perceptions of reality. That's broad.
Beauty, is narrower, It's truest source in one thing;

God.

And He shows me Himself in all the things that I find beautiful.
Tastes. Taste testers. On my tongue, in my ears. 
Embraces from mothers and lyrics.
Laughs with brothers and sisters. 
Sights. 

He let me see that which I saw last evening
Through my eyes
I wish you could have seen it.
 I wish you could have stood with me where I stood, with the message I had heard in my mind. 
You know those sights that you never want to forget? Easily, maybe the most beautiful thing you ever saw? I stood there and,

"Train. Train. Train."

I kept reciting to myself. 

I stood there in the plaza of my school campus, the Friday of the week that begun with me sitting in church on Sunday. I was listening to the sermon that was well needed. The pastor preached on Christ being the radiance of God, he also preached about the need for us to pay attention to God and his glory, the beauty He exudes. Somehow it led up to him talking about trains,

'Imagine you live by a train station and you invite a friend over for the first time. They have no idea what to expect and are completely shocked and terrified, almost in awe by the train when it passes by. You, on the other hand, are so over and accustomed to it that when she asks you, you say, "What do you mean what was that? It's just a train.'

What the pastor was really getting at was the fact that we have allowed ourselves to get used to God, no longer blown away or in awe, only comfortable and full of contempt. Like a man who lives by the train station used to the train.

Daring to approach Him as if He were a dull painting, a dark somber movie, a melancholic song. 
and he might feel like that at times-

But He is most beautiful, making only beautiful things and making only all things beautiful. Shining. Radiant.

Like the sky that Friday in the plaza.
 It was nearing dusk and so the sun was winding down and it showed. Shades of orange across the sky (yes, this is not an anomaly) except, the atmosphere was eerie yet bright and I wish I could explain better but basically, the sky had a mind of its own this time round. The way in which the oranges spread out, even while letting yellow and light light gray be present literally took my breath away. And as if that was not enough, it started to rain. Drizzle actually. 

The three to five minutes of my friends and I in the plaza, dropping our conversation and our jaws to watch God show off were also blessed with a train that passed right where we were looking. It's silver body and dark windows then reflecting orange yellow, it's speed, fast and quick behind the slow drizzles.

"Train. Train. Train."

I kept reciting to myself. 

And I went up to my room and spent the rest of the weekend thinking, "How dare I get used to God? how dare I get used to 'the train.'"



"God shows us his beauty, through and above that which He created."- Elli Patterson
(God is beautiful in and of Himself, something we see through His nature, and the nature of the beautiful things we see.) 

Stay tuned for part ii. :)

Comments

  1. "How dare I get used to God" Love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts, Marvel! Looking forward to future conversations about this with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Need of Grace.

To be honest, i've been spinning round and round in my head, for an amazing introduction-a great abstract to use to bring the truth i wanna share to life, a way to have you expecting the next word and the next because you know, it's been a minute since i wrote anything up here and there's a couple cobwebs i need to clear. I haven't gotten any-except for confessing what i just have. To sprinkle a little more honesty across this page, a prayer i read(yes, i read prayers, because sometimes all i can say is an amen to the request of another saint; as we are more alike than we think and more collectively in need of grace than we'd maybe like to admit) said, "O Lord, thou knowest my present deadness." And it's almost like a heavy weight was lifted-i understand this may be for a few, or for you to understand that the predicaments of the faith are deep and great. I'm where i want to be, lacking no good thing. Happy, healthy and feeling c

Part two.

Sort of glad that only a handful of people read my simple raw line.   ''I'm learning to listen. not going too great but I am.'' Ha! Y'all really thought I'd write a post that short and leave it at that? Man I thought I could. Best believe I was very uncomfortable with it. Probably a blend of the fear of being misunderstood and feeling naked  because who likes to announce the things they know they are not good at? Or the traits or the lack of them there of that need improvement? I would like for people to think I get a lot of things right but I in fact don't. It's almost like I mess up more than I don't. I hope you aren't sensing false vulnerability from reading this because it seems an awful lot like that. Where someone (me) thinks that by touching the surface of my imperfection (very vaguely if I may add), that someone else (you) will relate with me on a more human realistic level ( which is always the secondary hope I have when I write to y

Dear Child of God.

Dear child of God,  This one is for you. A while ago in my life, I knew something was wrong. Later when I settled down, I mean days after, I realized that my heart was walking away. The centre of my thoughts and feelings and emotions and dreams and visions, was walking away. Not because it changed destination. But because it had distractions. Dear child of God, Never let the loudness of life or rather the noise rob your heart of path. let it run, ablaze. An untamable fire, For it's savior, dear child of God. Love, Your sister.